Welcome to CMake, the cross-platform, open-source make system. CMake is used to control the software compilation process using simple platform and compiler independent configuration files. CMake generates native makefiles and workspaces that can be used in the compiler environment of your choice. CMake is quite sophisticated: it is possible to support complex environments requiring system configuration, pre-processor generation, code generation, and template instantiation.
You will find here not only documentation for CMake, but also for CPack and CTest.
- 1 CMake
- 1.1 Primary Resources - Look here first!
- 1.2 Development Topics
- 1.3 Tutorials
- 1.4 Converters from other buildsystems to CMake
- 1.5 Success Stories
- 1.6 More Topics
- 2 CTest
- 3 CPack
- 4 CDash
Primary Resources - Look here first!
- Where can I download CMake?
- CMake Documentation
- Useful CMake Variables
- FAQ (Frequently asked questions)
- CMake Mailing List
- CMake 2.6 Notes
- Cross compiling
- RPATH handling
- Editors/IDEs with CMake syntax support
- Docs for Specific Project Generators (Eclipse, KDevelop3, CodeBlocks, Makefile)
- Contributed macros
- Module Maintainers
- On variables, lists, strings, maps, regexps, etc.
- Platform Dependent Information
- Documentation for previous releases
- A Simple CMake Example
- Cross-Platform Software Development Using CMake
- CMake: The Cross Platform Build System
- "Learning CMake" - Slides of a CMake workshop (somewhat updated for CMake 2.6, include CPack, CTest and CDash information)
- Syntax of the CMake language
- How to find libraries
Describes how to use external libraries in a CMake project and how to write your own find modules for libraries that don't already have one.
- How to use CMake with Eclipse CDT
Describes how to use CMake with Eclipse CDT.
- How to write platform checks with CMake
Describes how to implement platform or configure checks with CMake.
- How to find installed software with CMake
Describes how to search for and then use software packages with CMake.
- How to find and use existing frameworks on OS X
A quick example to help OS X users find frameworks automatically.
- Qt with CMake
Explains how to use CMake to build software with Qt4, Qt3 and KDE3.
Converters from other buildsystems to CMake
All converters listed here are not "complete", i.e. the generated CMake files are not 100% finished, in all cases some work is left for the developer.
- am2cmake (requires Ruby) Converts automake/autotools/libtool based projects to CMake, specialized in converting from KDE 3 to KDE 4, should also work for others. This one has been used for converting the KDE buildsystem to CMake.
- Alternative Automake2CMake (requires PHP) Converts KDevelop projects that use automake to CMake.
- qmake converter (requires Ruby) Converts projects that use Qt's qmake.
- vcproj2cmake.rb (requires Ruby) Creates CMakeLists.txt files by extracting info from Visual Studio project files.
Basic CMakeLists.txt from-scratch-generator
- gencmake (requires Ruby) Creates basic CMakeLists.txt files from looking at the existing files.
- Fortran Issues
- For CMake Hackers
- Experiments With Lua
- Performance Tips
- Replacing deprecated INSTALL_FILES, INSTALL_PROGRAMS and INSTALL_TARGETS commands
- GNU style directory layout with CMake
- CMake TODO
- Creating Qt Assistant Docs
- Writing FindXXX.cmake modules that work with static libraries
- Writing FindXXX.cmake modules that work when multiple versions of packages are installed
- CMake:Improving Find* Modules
- C Plugins for Loadable Commands
For anyone who wonders what the load_command command is for.
- Testing With CTest
Introduces to testing with CTest, submitting dashboards, and using CMake to add tests to the test system.
- CTest Scripting
Describes the scripting with CTest which can significantly simplify and automate testing and submitting dashboards.
- Generating Input Files For CTest
Describe more in details the concepts behind testing with CTest and also explans how to use CTest without using CMake.
- Configuring CTest Submission Methods
- CTest Nightly, Experimental, Continuous, ...
- Media:CTest Running Modes.pdf
- CTest Frequently asked questions
- Packaging with CPack
Introduction to CPack, installing and packaging of software.
- CPack Variables
- Supported package formats
- CPack Win32 Newbie Checklist