Welcome to CMake, the cross-platform, open-source make system. CMake is used to control the software compilation process using simple platform and compiler independent configuration files. CMake generates native makefiles and workspaces that can be used in the compiler environment of your choice. CMake is quite sophisticated: it is possible to support complex environments requiring system configuration, pre-processor generation, code generation, and template instantiation.
You will find here not only documentation for CMake, but also for CPack and CTest.
- 1 CMake
- 1.1 Primary Resources - Look here first!
- 1.2 Development Topics
- 1.3 Tutorials
- 1.4 Converters from other buildsystems to CMake
- 1.5 Success Stories
- 1.6 More Topics
- 2 CTest
- 3 CDash
- 4 CPack
Primary Resources - Look here first!
- Where can I download CMake?
- CMake Documentation
- Useful CMake Variables
- FAQ (Frequently asked questions)
- CMake Mailing List (for searchable archives see CMake FAQ )
- CMake 2.6 Notes
- Getting Started With CMake Screencasts @PlayControl.net
- Cross compiling
- RPATH handling
- Assembler Support
- Editors/IDEs with CMake syntax support
- Docs for Specific Project Generators (Eclipse, KDevelop3, CodeBlocks, Makefile)
- Contributed macros
- Module Maintainers
- Platform Dependent Information
- Documentation for previous releases
- Matrix for checking backwards-compatibility of current features
- A Simple CMake Example
- Cross-Platform Software Development Using CMake
- CMake: The Cross Platform Build System
- "Learning CMake" - Slides of a CMake workshop, including CPack, CTest and CDash
- "CMake tutorial" - Slides (with LaTeX bearmer source) of a CMake tutorial including CPack, CTest.
- "CMake: Behind the Scenes of Code Development" - Slides of an introductory talk/tutorial about CMake and its benefits
- Howto use cmake with C/C++ projects A simple walk-through about creating a cmake C project including integration of subversion, doxygen and how-to add optional project parts as configurables
- The Hacker Within: Build Systems Explains why and how to use build systems with a CMake example.
- Syntax of the CMake language
- How CMake simplifies the build process by Bruno Abinader
- Empirical approach to CMAKE by Rachid Koucha
Finding stuff and platform checking
- How to write platform checks with CMake
Describes how to implement platform or configure checks with CMake.
- How to package your project for use by others, create FooConfig.cmake files, and exporting and importing targets.
- How to find libraries
Describes how to use external libraries in a CMake project and how to write your own find modules for libraries that don't already have one.
- How to find and use existing frameworks on OS X
A quick example to help OS X users find frameworks automatically.
How to use CMake with specific Libraries
- Qt with CMake
Explains how to use CMake to build software with Qt4, Qt3 and KDE3.
- Deploying Qt4 applications with CMake
Explains how to use the DeployQt4.cmake module coming with CMake 2.8.7.
- How to use CMake to create Matlab MEX files
Describes how to use CMake when developing Matlab Executable (MEX) files for use with The Mathworks Matlab scripting language.
Converters from other buildsystems to CMake
All converters listed here are not "complete", i.e. the generated CMake files are not 100% finished, in all cases some work is left for the developer.
- am2cmake (requires Ruby) Converts automake/autotools/libtool based projects to CMake, specialized in converting from KDE 3 to KDE 4, should also work for others. This one has been used for converting the KDE buildsystem to CMake.
- Alternative Automake2CMake (requires PHP) Converts KDevelop projects that use automake to CMake.
- qmake converter (requires Ruby) Converts projects that use Qt's qmake.
- vcproj2cmake.rb (requires Ruby) SourceForge project Creates and maintains CMakeLists.txt files by extracting info from Visual Studio project files. Elaborate script for development side-by-side the updated original static .vcproj files, supports script hooks and powerful definition mappings. Patches and new project members very welcome. Older script versions below:
- vcproj2cmake.ps1(PowerShell version) Creates CMakeLists.txt. it supports vcproj configuration and detect 'exclude from build' option
- folders4cmake (requires Java) Use Visual Studio project files to generate corresponding "source_group" information that you can use inside your own CMake scripts. Supports Visual Studio 9/10 project files (full round-trip possible).
Basic CMakeLists.txt from-scratch-generator
- gencmake (requires Ruby) Creates basic CMakeLists.txt files from looking at the existing files.
- CMakeListGenerator (Win32) Creates complete CMakeLists.txt files as described in the README using a combination of file and directory structure analysis. Supports resolving dependencies between multiple archives.
- Fortran Issues
- Generating dependency graphs with CMake
- Experiments With Lua
- Performance Tips
- Replacing deprecated INSTALL_FILES, INSTALL_PROGRAMS and INSTALL_TARGETS commands
- GNU style directory layout with CMake
- CMake TODO
- Creating Qt Assistant Docs
- Writing FindXXX.cmake modules that work with static libraries
- Writing FindXXX.cmake modules that work when multiple versions of packages are installed
- CMake:Improving Find* Modules
- C Plugins for Loadable Commands
For anyone who wonders what the load_command command is for.
- PC-Lint support for CMake
- Testing With CTest
Introduces to testing with CTest, submitting dashboards, and using CMake to add tests to the test system.
- CTest Scripting
Describes the scripting with CTest which can significantly simplify and automate testing and submitting dashboards.
- Generating Input Files For CTest
Describe more in details the concepts behind testing with CTest and also explans how to use CTest without using CMake.
- Buildmanagement With CTest
Describes how to setup a central configuration for all CTest scripts.
- Configuring CTest Submission Methods
- CTest Nightly, Experimental, Continuous, ...
- Media:CTest Running Modes.pdf
- CTest Frequently asked questions
- Packaging with CPack
Introduction to CPack, installing and packaging of software.
- CPack Variables
- Supported package formats
- CPack Win32 Newbie Checklist
- Component Install With CPack