Difference between revisions of "Really Cool CMake Features"
(more confident ad copy, active instruction to wiki readers)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
CMake is a big and go unnoticed or are taken for granted. create a comprehensive list of features CMake withCMake, CTest, CPack.
== CMake Features ==
== CMake Features ==
Revision as of 12:52, 15 February 2008
CMake is a mature tool with many features, both big and small. Many go unnoticed or are taken for granted. Help us create a comprehensive list of features that make CMake a joy to work with. Please list your addition under the appropriate package: CMake, CTest, or CPack.
- Color output for make
- Progress output for make
- Incremental linking support with vs 8,9 and manifests
- Auto-rerun of cmake if any cmake input files change (works with vs 8, 9 using ide macros)
- Auto depend information for C++, C, and Fortran
- Full support for library versions
- Full cross platform install system.
- Generate project files for major IDEs: Visual Studio, Xcode, Eclipse, KDevelop
- not tied to make, other generators like ant possible
- Ability to add custom rules and targets
- Compute link depend information, and chaining of dependent libraries
- Works with parallel make and is fast, can build very large projects like KDE on build farms
- make help. make foo.s, make foo.E
- Advanced RPATH handling, full support for all kinds of static/shared libs and plugins, no more cryptic foo.la libtool "libraries"
- Works on many host operating systems (a full list would be good)
- Supports many toolchains: GNU, MS, Borland, Sun, also e.g sdcc
- Full dependencies: build a target in some directory, and everything this target depends on will be up to date
- Extensive test suite and nightly builds/test on many platforms
- modular design (e.g. the Find modules, language, toolchain and OS support files) * > easily extendable
- just one tool instead of automake+autoconf+libtool+m4+shell+make
- provides regular expressions, eliminating need for grep+awk+sed+perl
- portable commands for file and directory manipulation
- .tar.gz archiving available on all platforms. No need to chase down tar/gzip for Windows.
- it's a native tool, windows devs don't have to deal with POSIX shells, OSX devs can continue to use XCode
- can create OSX library frameworks
- can create OSX application bundles
- Beta cross compiling, to Linux, Windows, eCos, supercomputers, no OS, from 8bit uCs to 64bit CPUs
- support for chrpath, i.e. changing the RPATH without need to actually link again
- Run all or sub-sets of tests for a project
- Submit testing results to Dart 1,2 and CDash
- Run tests that build and run --build-and-test command
- Create professional windows installers with NSIS
- Create tar.gz tar.Z on any platform
- Create self extracting tar.gz .sh files
- Create rpm
- Create Debian .deb files
- Create Cygwin setup packages