About the Examples
VTK is a large and powerful toolkit for visualization and modelling. New users can be overwhelmed by the size and what appears to be the complexity of the toolkit. There are several resources to help the new user:
- The VTK Textbook
- The VTK Users Guide
- The VTK Doxygen Man Pages
- The VTK Wiki
- The VTK Users Mailing List
In addition to these compilations of information, hundreds of tests are distributed with the toolkit source. The tests reside in Kit/Testing directories (for example, Rendering/Testing) in the source distribution. However, these tests are meant to exercise the toolkit rather than illustrate how to use it. For the most part, the tests are not good educational resources.
The VTK source distribution also includes a sizeable number of examples. The goal of the VTK examples is to illustrate specific VTK concepts in a consistent and simple format. Some have been there since the inception of the toolkit. These examples have been subject to peer review and revision over the years. However, these examples only cover a small part of the capabilities of VTK.
Recently (February 7, 2009), spurred by a new user, David Doria, we are using the VTK Wiki to provide examples that will help new VTK and experienced VTK users. Users seeking solutions can use the wiki to find examples that answer questions like, "How do I extract normals from a filter's output?", "How do I generate models from segmented data?", "How do I compute the area of a triangle?", "How do I generate a foo model from bar input?". Over time we hope that the examples will answer many of the users' questions. Some questions won't have a solution in the current example repertoire. For those questions, we encourage the user to create a simple example that illustrates either a dilemma or a new solution.
Examples are available for...:
Information for Wiki Example..:
- .. Users: If you just want to use the Wiki Examples. You will learn how to search for examples, build a few examples and build all of the examples.
- .. Developers: If you want to contribute examples. You will learn how to add a new example and the guidelines for writing an example.
- .. Administrators: If you are a Wiki Example Administrator or want to learn more about the process. You will learn how the Wiki Examples repository is organized, how the repository is synced to the wiki and how to add new topics, tests and regression baselines.
Please add this tag to an example if you feel it could benefit from a visualization! [[Category:VTKAddVisualization]]
We have started collecting works in progress as well as future ideas at NextGen. Please add anything you are working on, would like to collaborate on, or would like to see in the future of VTK!