[vtkusers] Cell data in a vtkPolyData object

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Fri Aug 27 07:46:55 EDT 2004

Hi John,

As far as I can see you will still get incorrect behavior if you mix
cell types, even if you do it in the specific order you say. For
instance, in the example of my bug report (which is the same as the one
in my e-mail of January 2004), if I replace the order of the
initialization by:

---
points = vtk.vtkPoints()
# points for line 1 (line)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.5, 0.3, 0)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.5, 0.8, 0)
# points for triangle 1 (triangle)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.2, 0.3, 0)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.4, 0.55, 0)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.2, 0.8, 0)
# points for poly 2 (bar)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.6, 0.3, 0)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.8, 0.3, 0)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.8, 0.8, 0)
points.InsertNextPoint(0.6, 0.8, 0)
polydata.SetPoints(points)

# set scalar cell data
colors = vtk.vtkFloatArray()
polydata.GetCellData().SetScalars(colors)

# create line 1
ids = vtk.vtkIdList()
ids.InsertNextId(0)
ids.InsertNextId(1)
cell = polydata.InsertNextCell(VTK_LINE, ids)
# line 1 should get the second color (green)
colors.InsertTuple1(cell, 0.0)

# create poly 1
ids.Reset()
ids.InsertNextId(2)
ids.InsertNextId(3)
ids.InsertNextId(4)
cell = polydata.InsertNextCell(VTK_POLYGON, ids)
# poly 1 should get the first color (red)
colors.InsertTuple1(cell, 1.0)

# create poly 2
ids.Reset()
ids.InsertNextId(5)
ids.InsertNextId(6)
ids.InsertNextId(7)
ids.InsertNextId(8)
cell = polydata.InsertNextCell(VTK_POLYGON, ids)
# poly 2 should get the third color (blue)
colors.InsertTuple1(cell, 2.0)
---

So first the single line, and then the two polygons. I still get a
problem with the coloring of my cells (both with the 2D and 3D mapper).
If you know of a way to get this example showing proper colors using
just a single vtkpolydata object I would be very interested!

Best regards,
Sander