[vtkusers] Visualizing a surface

pauldoesntlikesurfaceextractio paul_geus at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 07:48:33 EDT 2018

Dear all,

I have a set of points (around 0.5 million) and I want to visualize these as
a surface/volume. I am programming in c++ and using vtk 8.0
I have extracted the surface points of the dataset to reduce the size.

The points show an arbitrary timestep of a dambreak.
I have tried the following approaches:

VTKExtractSurface; Problem: The wave is not shown accurately. I have tried
increasing the samplesize for the normals,   Decreasing the radius for the
calculation of the distances and smoothing the surface. The Result was not
satisfactory
(https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Points/ExtractSurface/)

Delaunay3D; Problem: Mainly useable for convex shapes and the triangle
visualization is not nice for a fluid, further problem: Alpha value needs to
be adjusted for each simulation

Marching Cubes; Problem: I can't get it to work, I have basically copied
every step from the tutorial:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Modelling/MarchingCubes/
I can't understand where i went wrong there

GaussianSplatter; Problem: The Points(spheres) are visible, this means it is
not a surface, but spheres  test2.xyz
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t342366/test2.xyz>  which overlap.

What other approach is there?
Am I maybe using the one of the features wrong?

I have attached my points below.
Kind regards and hopefully someone can help me :)