View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0010969VTK(No Category)public2010-07-09 08:222016-08-12 09:55
ReporterJim Peterson 
Assigned ToKitware Robot 
PlatformOSOS Version
Product Version 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
Summary0010969: shared libraries and java wrappers do not appear correct for windows using mingw batch implementation.
DescriptionAttempting to build the VTK 5.6.0 JAVA wrappers using CMAKE 2.8 and MINGW and GCC 3.4.5 on Windows XP SP3. The CMAKE Configure and Generate complete successfully, but all libraries are named similar to this VTKCommon component example: "libVTKCommonJava.DLL" and "libVTKCommon.DLL.a". My long ago past experience was expecting names starting with VTK and no suffixes after the dll name. The result libVTKCommonJava.DLL library fails during the load request in java with unable to load dependent libraries. I can get past that error by renaming libVTKCommon.DLL.a to VTKCommon.DLL. but then when I try to create a vtk object is fails to find the VTKINIT function during the new VTKRenderWindow() java statement.
TagsNo tags attached.
Attached Files

has duplicate 0007589closedKitware Robot mingw: wrong library names => break Java 

Jim Peterson (reporter)
2010-07-09 11:25

For what it is worth, the downloaded java examples that have System.LoadLibrary() coded all specify names that start with VTK, not libVTK. I suspect this issue is somehow an incorrectly generated make file for use by mingw from CMAKE.
Jim Peterson (reporter)
2010-07-11 11:45
edited on: 2010-07-11 11:45

I found I was missing the mingw32-make program, I updated mingw and was able to specify mingw make files and generate the build files. all of the .dll files are prefixed with lib. this does not match the documented interface libraries for windows hosted java, nor the windows shared libraries in general. There may be a cmake configuration option I am missing. but the fact that the libraries are suffixed with .DLL appears to indicate we have recogized at some level this is a windows system we are building make for. and the lib prefix is being added in error I believe. Thanks for any insight into this.

David Cole (developer)
2010-07-30 12:15
edited on: 2010-07-30 12:17

See these mailing list discussion threads, too: [^] [^] [^]

Jerome Robert (reporter)
2014-02-01 11:53

Fixed in VTK 6.1 [^]
Kitware Robot (administrator)
2016-08-12 09:55

Resolving issue as `moved`.

This issue tracker is no longer used. Further discussion of this issue may take place in the current VTK Issues page linked in the banner at the top of this page.

 Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2010-07-09 08:22 Jim Peterson New Issue
2010-07-09 11:25 Jim Peterson Note Added: 0021335
2010-07-09 14:16 Jim Peterson Note Added: 0021340
2010-07-11 11:41 Jim Peterson Note Deleted: 0021340
2010-07-11 11:45 Jim Peterson Note Added: 0021350
2010-07-11 11:45 Jim Peterson Note Edited: 0021350
2010-07-30 12:12 David Cole Project @2@ => VTK
2010-07-30 12:15 David Cole Note Added: 0021578
2010-07-30 12:17 David Cole Note Edited: 0021578
2010-11-30 23:23 David Partyka Relationship added has duplicate 0007589
2011-06-16 13:11 Zack Galbreath Category CMake => (No Category)
2014-02-01 11:53 Jerome Robert Note Added: 0032253
2016-08-12 09:55 Kitware Robot Note Added: 0037183
2016-08-12 09:55 Kitware Robot Status expired => closed
2016-08-12 09:55 Kitware Robot Resolution open => moved
2016-08-12 09:55 Kitware Robot Assigned To => Kitware Robot

Copyright © 2000 - 2018 MantisBT Team